Massachusetts Homeopathic Medical Society records, 1840-1964 (inclusive). B MS c26
The Massachusetts Homeopathic Medical Society was incorporated in 1856; it developed from the Massachusetts Homeopathic Fraternity, organized by six physicians meeting in Dorchester, Mass. on December 25, 1840. The Society was the official homeopathic agent in the state; it sponsored a medical dispensary in Boston (incorporated in 1856 and opened in 1857), established the Boston University School of Medicine (opened in 1873) and appointed its faculty by nomination, founded a hospital (1871), and opened a nursing school (1885) near the medical school. The Society began publication of its annual transactions in 1867. Includes membership applications and lists of members; minutes of meetings; agendas and programs; treasurers' reports and reports of the necrologist and secretary; constitutions and bylaws; transcript of 1910 hearing before the Massachusetts State Sanatoria; and clippings containing notices of meetings.
Items in the Massachusetts Homeopathic Medical Society records, 1840-1964 (inclusive). B MS c26 Collection
This cartoon was published in the Boston Evening Times during the height of the controversy over the expulsion of the homeopaths from the Massachusetts Medical Society.
- Manuscripts and Archives
- Massachusetts Homeopathic Medical Society records, 1840-1964 (inclusive). B MS c26