Records of the Massachusetts Medical Library

Dublin Core

Title

Records of the Massachusetts Medical Library

Subject

Massachusetts Medical Society
Circulation (collections management)

Description

The Massachusetts Medical Society formed its own library in 1782. Although the Boston Medical Library surpassed it in size, this record of the library's circulation from the mid-1820s indicates several of the Boston Medical Library Proprietors—Drs. Warren, Ware, Channing, Coffin, and Strong—were also borrowing books from the Society's collection. Most of the librarians for the Boston Medical Library held that same office for the Massachusetts Medical Society. The Society's collection was kept at John Fleet's house for a time, just as the Boston Medical Library had been, and then moved to 49 Marlborough Street—along with Harvard Medical School until it opened its own building in 1816.

Abstract

Excerpt from the circulation records of the Massachusetts Medical Library

Creator

Massachusetts Medical Society

Date Created

1822-1855

Rights

The Boston Medical Library does not hold copyright on all materials in this collection. For use information, consult Public Services at chm@hms.harvard.edu

Access Rights

Access to the original work depicted requires advance notice. Contact Public Services at chm@hms.harvard.edu for additional information

Is Part Of

Boston Medical Library Rare Books Collection (B MS b75.15)

Format

text

Extent

excerpt (2 pages)

Language

English

Identifier

DigID0002725

Provenance

From the Collections of the Boston Medical Library

Files

http://collections.countway.harvard.edu/onview/file_upload/0002725_dref.jpg

Citation

Massachusetts Medical Society, “Records of the Massachusetts Medical Library,” OnView, accessed May 24, 2024, https://collections.countway.harvard.edu/onview/items/show/12928.