The Third Harvard Surgical Unit
On May 20, 1916, a third Harvard Surgical Unit, under the command of Hugh Cabot (1872-1945), sailed for Europe aboard the Andania. George C. Shattuck and C. M. Robinson were with this contingent of 22 surgeons and dentists and 33 nurses. The third unit was to serve for six months at Camiers. Soon after the new unit's arrival, the bed capacity of No. 22 General Hospital was increased to 1800, then later, finally, 2380.
A fourth contingent, under Daniel Fiske Jones of Massachusetts General Hospital, along with Paul Dudley White, sailed in August to take the place of personnel whose terms were expiring in September.