Soon after the opening of hostilities, Americans living in Paris decided to organize a neutral military hospital facility for wounded soldiers which would be attached to the American Hospital and under the French Service de Santé. Myron T. Herrick, the ambassador to France, was instrumental in this endeavor, and voluntary subscriptions were raised for the hospital in the United States.
The American Ambulance Hospital or the Ambulance Américaine opened at the Lycée Pasteur in Neuilly and was ready for the reception of patients on September 1, 1914, with 170 beds and an eventual capacity of up to 1000 beds. By October, some $87,000 had been raised in America, added to $120,000 contributed by Americans in Paris.
American Ambulance Hospital Circular, [New York, New York, October 1914]
From the Collections of the Boston Medical Library
This illustrated circular was distributed in the United States to raise funds for the American Ambulance Hospital.